- 4 medium yellow onions cut in uniform size
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp. butter, margarine, etc
- Cut your onions in any size you want, just make sure they are uniform so the cooking time is the same for each piece
- Over medium high heat, combine your butter and oil. Using a combination of the two is done because it will even out the cooking time and reduce burning because of the higher smoke point of the oil, and it will create a more complex flavor
- Put the onions in the pot and toss to coat every piece with butter/oil.
- While your onions cook down it’s important to keep tossing and stirring them. Stir from the bottom to the top to make sure the distribution is even throughout the pot. If onions start to brown to fast lower heat. Caramelized onions should be uniformly cooked and uneven stirring can ruin your whole operation.
- Cook to a deep brown color about 30 minutes.
- These will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for about a week or so
A little primer on onions: they are dense, full of water, give a lot of it off in the cooking process, and take a while to cook down. No matter, have patience. And don't even think about covering your pot while you're making these. We want all that water to evaporate, not collect in the pot.