Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onion, and Garlic
It's a beautiful dish with many colors and full of flavor. Warning, it is addictive."
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- 6 cups cabbage, cut into thin wedges (1 small head cabbage)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook the chopped bacon until crisp and browned; remove to a bowl or plate and set aside (do not drain the bacon fat).
- Add in onion; cook stirring until softened (about 4-5 minutes, adding in the garlic and chili flakes and paprika the last 2 minutes).
- Add in cabbage, broth and sugar; cover and cook stirring occasionally until the cabbage wilts (about 25 minutes) season with salt and pepper towards the end of cooking.
- Stir in the cooked bacon