Balsamic roast chicken with Caramelized Pearl Onions, Carrots, and Tomatoes
A savory one-pot dish that marries succulent chicken with savory vegetables. This Chicken is moist and flavorful.
Source: Recipes To Try
Serves: 4 - 6
- 1 3-lb whole free-range organic chicken, cut into 8 parts
- 1 tsp. Maldon sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices Bacon chopped
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled and halved
- 1 tbsp. each: chopped fresh rosemary and thyme
- 2 tbsp. aged balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup white wine
- ¾ cup carrots chopped into 1” pieces
- 2 stalks Celery chopped into ¼ “ pieces
- ½ pint grape tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Season the chicken pieces all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large cast-iron casserole pan or Dutch oven and sear the chicken pieces in two batches, turning occasionally, until well browned all over.
- Remove the chicken from the pan. Turn the heat down to medium and add the bacon cook until crisp 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add .pearl onions; carrots, and celery and cook until the onions are caramelized 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the oil from the pan and return the chicken pieces. Add the herbs, vinegar and wine and bring to a boil.
- Add the tomatoes and bacon then bake, covered, for 45 to 50 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove lid during last 15 minutes of roasting.