- 2 chicken breasts with skin
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. sweet butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup of thinly sliced sweet onions (vidalia)
- 2 large apples, peeled, cut into ¼" wedges
- 1 large box of button mushrooms, cut in half
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped tarragon
- ½ cup of apple juice or apple cider
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup of Calvados (An Apple Brandy)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken breasts
- Turn up heat to medium high. In a large, heavy skillet or Dutch Oven, add olive oil and butter. When hot, add the chicken breasts skin side down.
- Brown the chicken on all sides. When done, remove chicken to a plate and cover.
- In the same skillet, add apple wedges and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Be sure not to overcook--the apples will become too soft and mushy. Place apples in the same dish as the chicken. Keep covered.
- In the same skillet, over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp. of olive oil. When hot, add the onions and Sautee until translucent.
- Next add the mushrooms. After about 3 minutes, stir mushrooms and lower heat to medium, cooking the mushrooms for about 10 minutes until browned on both sides. Towards the end, you might need to add a touch of olive oil while cooking.
- When the mushroom/onion mixture is nicely browned, turn up the heat to high, add the Calvados and stir to mix all ingredients together, cooking off the alcohol (about 2-3 minutes). Turn heat down to medium-high.
- Add the tarragon, apple juice or cider, and the chicken stock, simmer for about 10 minutes to blend all of the flavors.
- Add the cream to the skillet, stir to blend.
- Add the chicken and simmer for about ten minutes, until chicken is done, stirring occasionally.
1 Place the chicken on a plate.
2 Scoop up the mushroom with a slotted spoon and pour over chicken.
3 Next take a few tablespoons of sauce and pour over the chicken and mushrooms
4 Add slices of apples on the side of the chicken.
5 Serve immediately
6 Pour two glasses of your favorite white wine. Toast to each other and enjoy!